Wednesday, 16 July 2014

Lorde for Mac: review and swatches.


When I heard Lorde was collaborating with Mac Cosmetics to launch her own collection, I could not wait to get my hands on whatever she had to offer! Anyone who follows my instagram, has been on my blog or just knows me on a personal level knows that I love grunge makeup. Lorde's makeup is right up my street. Every time I see her in concert I scout through the web trying to figure out what she has used. So after much anticipation (and slight disappointment) here are my thoughts and swatches of the products. 


When I first went on the Mac website to purchase I was a bit gutted that there was only two products in the collection. But then again Lorde's makeup has always been a bit of minimal grunge. However I still think maybe they should have included more lipstick choices, or perhaps a bronzer. Anyway the lipstick, which was £15.50 is called Pure Heroin. It is described on the website as a "deep, rich plum" with an amplified finish. I was a little shocked that they chose to have an amplified finish as I would have expected it do have been matte. Even a satin would have made more sense, but I've never really seen Lorde with glossy lips. And coming from someone who is lip colour obsessed, I've always been a huge fan of Lorde's lip looks. However I've never been a fan of the amplified finish, just as it can be overly glossy. So I was slightly hesitant with this one- but I'm always open to having my mind changed! Then we have this Penultimate Eye Liner, which was a little pricier at £17.50. 

Before I received my Mac package, I searched the web to see any preview of swatches to give me an idea of what it would look like. I was so disappointed to see that the plum had a bright wine undertone to it. Lorde has always gone for dark lipstick herself, so I was confused as to why she was promoting something a bit different. Anyway when I finally got my own, I opened the cap to see it was exactly was I was hoping not to get- a reddish, plum. I wanted a gothic grunge, but hey ho. However when I but it on it was super super intense- like you could see me from a mile away intense! With the help of the amplified finish the purple is just so intense and actually quite nice. When I put it on I did find it a little difficult though just as its extremely glossy. It goes on quite thick as well, so don't be too generous when applying. Also I didn't find it that that the colour wasn't so much a reddened plum as I was expecting which was a bonus- however it is still quite warm in tone. So I think this will be great in autumn/fall (pre-warning of my instagram lip selfies around october!). I noticed that in the promotional pictures that it looked a little darker, and found out that it was because they used Mac Nightmoth Lip Liner on her. So that's what I used on myself in the pictures below just to give you all the same idea. When it comes to the liquid liner, I actually love this. The short felt like tip is great for achieving the same details as Lorde herself. As well it comes out really smoothly without smudging. The reason why I stopped using liquid liner this year was because I found that they tended to flake when you tried to reapply it or after a few hours of wearing it. However this does not do that at all! If I didn't put quite enough on, I would layer this constantly and it would still look really sleek. Plus I just found it really easy to use and control. However the downside is the price. I just don't understand why they would charge so much for it- it's great but nothing special. I am certainly going to continue to use it, but I'm not sure if I would repurchase it for £17.50. But an amazing, and very similar, dupe of this is the 2True liquid liner I featured on my festival vibes: on a budget post. It's so so much cheaper and can probably achieve a similar look for a fraction of the price. 

Overall, I do really like the products- and I'm not going to lie, I'm sure I will use them constantly. The problem is though that I like it when I don't think that they are part of the Lorde Collection. Then as soon as I remember I think how disappointed I am. As much as I will wear them, it's just not the gothic grunge Lorde I was expecting- yet just a more wearable form of her. But if your going to commit to the Lorde look, I want 100% of it all not the diluted version!!

All of the photos have been taken with no flash









0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Bonjour Belle Designs