Friday, 13 February 2015

valentines salted caramel truffles.



























These are truffles, salted caramel truffles, and they taste just like snickers bars. But unlike some of the ones you can get in shops, that are filled with a load of crap, these are healthy(ish)! They are so gooey on the inside but smothered in solid chocolate on the outside- and then sprinkled with some goodness on top of course. Mouth dribbling yet? Well keep reading on to see what I use and how I make these bad boys...

I am a major sweet treat junkie but have been going crazy ever since I've started eating healthy and going gym. So when I was trying to track down some kind of dessert recipe (that wasn't going to make me feel guilty) I kept seeing people use medjool dates. Now I am an arab, and have been exposed to a lot (and a lot and a lot and a lot) of dates in my time. And although my grandma and grandad have always informed me how good they are, I just have never liked them. But I decided to jump the gun and try to make some energy balls made out of only a few ingredients, one of which includes the dreaded dates, and it turns out they weren't so bad. So this time when I made them I tried tweaking a few things, and hey presto, I had my very own snickers/ salted caramel truffles. 

Now when I say these are healthy, I mean these are a healthier alternative then some of the ready made stuff you get in the shops. There's so much crap in those sort of things that I tend to avoid it. That being said, I have used chocolate in this recipe, but I made sure it was a good quality, dark one. Also I only eat these as a treat- even though they are healthier I still wouldn't gorge on them everyday of the week. But for me, my diet is all about fulfilling cravings, but I hate the term 'cheat days'. How I see it, if I fancy something bad I'll just see how I could make it from scratch and with better ingredients. After I've been to the gym, the last thing I want to do is add the calories back with junk and fatty stuff. So try not to suppress a craving all into one day and then go crazy. I just think that's such a bad attitude as you aren't really ditching the bad habits and lifestyle. Anyway, enough life lessons Dina, and let's get on with these little bites of heaven.



To make roughly about 10-15 truffles (depending the size you roll them):
- 1 cup of madjool dates (pitted)
- heaped tablespoon, or two, of peanut butter (make sure this is a good quality one with no added sugar or salt in it)
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- pinch of sea salt
- small handful of mixed nuts for extra nuttiness (try to get unsalted blanched ones, mine contained peanuts and almonds)
- a few walnuts
- 2 tablespoons of ground chia seeds (this is optional but they have so many health benefits to them)
- 1 and a half bars of Lindt Sea Salt Dark Chocolate
- shredded coconut, more sea salt and cacoa powder to decorate




Start off by placing the dates in a really good blender- I of course used my trusty nutribullet. Once you have turned it into a thick like paste, chuck in the peanut butter, walnuts, mixed nuts, chia seeds, melted coconut oil and the pinch of sea salt. That may sound weird, but the salty sweet combo is what get's the salted caramel flavour, as opposed to just caramel. And you may not believe it at this point, but trust me it does taste exactly like caramel! Also I want to make a point that you should follow this method, instead of just throwing it all in initially. You may think it'll turn out exactly the same and save you time. But coming from experience, it will only turn out drier and then you have to add more oil and before you know it they become a greasy mess. Anyway, all you have to do then is roll it into balls and then pop them into the freezer for about 15-20 minutes. My top tip is to not get carried away and making them huge, instead making them small. Once you add the chocolate it turns out the perfect size in the end.

So just before you take your energy balls out of the freezer. Melt the chocolate on a stove, or in the microwave (just make sure you're checking on it every 30 seconds so it doesn't burn). If you still feel like you don't want to use shop bought chocolate, leave me a comment down below and I'll tell you how to make some from scratch! Take the balls out, at this point they should be very solid but don't worry because they get softer later on. Then cover them in a light layer of the melted chocolate. I find this easier if I roll it in the chocolate in between two teaspoons. Then just put them back into the freezer for another 5-10 minutes. You'll find that when you are coating them in the chocolate, that it automatically starts to freeze again- hence why you don't need to leave it in there for too long. 







Then all that's left to do is sprinkle some of the toppings on and you are good to go! 


Here are the results.. 




3 comments:

  1. Hey! I love your blog so I thought I'd nominate you for the Liebster Award (it's like a Q&A style tag to bring attention to smaller blogs). The questions are on my blog if you wanted to take part. xx
    http://crampedclosets.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I found your blog through Eliza Clark and I'm so happy she mentioned you since your blog is a true pleasure to read! you are beautiful! x Josune, Your Beauty Script

    http://yourbeautyscript.com/

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Design by Bonjour Belle Designs