Friday, 14 October 2016

instagram pictures: the edit.





























It's just an instagram picture. Those are words you'd never hear come out of my mouth - it may just be for instagram but I take it very seriously. The reason why I was so drawn to this social media platform in the first place was because, I felt it was a way for me to visually portray a story of who I am and what I stand for. And a big factor in that is the way everything is edited.

Once I've narrowed down my search for the perfect shot, from the 70 I took that day, that's when all the fun begins...


the process
__________________


















Faded: This app is a definite staple for editing my photos, so I always start with this. It has everything from the basic adjustment tools, multiple filters, special effects to frames. In the past I have downloaded about 5 different apps to do everything that this one app does, so it's fantastic. I never used to like any filters, but over the past few months I have been obsessed with 'whitehorn' which is under the 'holiday' category. But like I said, I'm not overly keen on filters so I use this very sparingly. Then generally after that I tend to sharpen my pictures by about 10+ or so, upping the exposure from anywhere between 10-20+ and then adjust the contrast so my black tones stand out more. Because of the vibe I aim for, I also like to desaturate my pictures from time to time, depending on it's original form. It's essential that my pictures have a landscape frame, but they have loads of other shapes to play around with so have a bit of fun with it!

Facetune: Once the main edits have been done, I like to do subtle touch ups - and Facetune is your phones answer to photoshop! As much as I'd like to look skinnier and have perfect skin, I personally don't entertain those options for my face/body shots *although I get so tempted sometimes*. I like to see those little imperfections that make us distinctive. But for pictures of my food or room decor, it's a different story and I love using this app to make all those unwanted marks disappear. For this photo specifically, there were the odd bits of fluff on one pillow, and stains on the other. To get rid of it I used the patch option first, which basically allows you to take aspects from other parts of your photo to cover the things you don't like (if that makes sense!). I then finished that off with the smooth tool, so it wasn't so obvious what I had done.

Photo Splash: I have downloaded sooo many different apps in the past for selective colouring, but this is by far the best on the market. It does exactly what it says on the tin, with additional filters (which I don't use myself), as well as the option to make your brush size bigger or smaller. I hate when anything black or white is off colour, so this just makes everything that little bit more crisp. The more you zoom in though the blurrier the pictures becomes, so you might have to focus in and out a few times to get it looking how you want. Beware: with every good comes a bad, and the negative side to this are all the damn pop-up ads!

Instagram: This is a step that is very new to me, but has made such a big difference to the final execution. I skip the filters and go straight to the edits. I always thought using this would hinder the look of the frames, which I didn't want, but it hasn't seemed to so far (it will if you use the filters so be warned). My go-to instagram tools are the highlights and shadows. Unlike on Faded, where you can only go 0+, you can actually adjust right down to the negatives as well. This comes in handy again to intensify the black and white areas. I will normally go around -20 for the shading, and about 5-10+ for the highlight for that extra pop of colour. 


*As far as I can remember, I'm pretty sure that all of these apps were free!*


the results
___________________


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Bonjour Belle Designs