Sunday, 9 October 2016

lazy sunday pancakes.


I can't believe with all the foodie stuff I post on instagram, I am yet to share my recipes on here! What better way to start than with my notorious vegan pancakes - perfect for those lazy sundays indoors.

Yep I said it, these are totally vegan. The problem with that is it can be hard to master a good pancake. For months I was on a hunt for the perfect recipe, but whatever recipes I found online *and we are talking hundreds* the results were always a big fat fail! I experimented with different quantities, different types of flours, the debate whether to add bananas or not add bananas, should I use chia or flax seeds and so on!! 

But as the saying goes, never give up - and I did not people, so here I present a pancake recipe that I guarantee will work


[makes 6 pancakes - serves 1]

What you will need:
- 3/4 cup of gluten & wheat free oats (or oat flour if you have it)
- 3/4 cup of almond milk (coconut milk also worked)
- 1 teaspoon of pure maple syrup (use more if you have a sweet tooth!)
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 chia 'egg' (mix 1 teaspoon of chia seeds to 5 teaspoons of water)
- A couple of squares of dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder (optional, but to be honest I added way more than this because I am an addict!)

What to do:
1) Make your chia egg, and leave aside to set
2) Blend your oats until you reach a flour consistency. Then add the cinnamon and baking powder and blend again
3) Add all the wet ingredients and to the dry and blend once again. *tip: if you'd rather have a thicker batter, similar to what you'd have making american style pancakes, only use 1/2 cup of milk. You will get fewer pancakes this way though*
4) More blending, but this time you are adding the chia egg to the mix
5) Leave the batter to one side to thicken. In the meantime cut your chocolate into chunks. You can use chocolate chips, but I find using whole bits makes it super chocolatey!
6) After 5 or so minutes mix in the chocolate to the pancake batter by hand 
7) There are two important aspects to the next part in order to avoid a fail: Make sure you have your heat set at a low-medium heat so that they can cook properly. Second thing to remember is to fry one pancake at a time on a smallish pan. I tried doing multiple ones simultaneously and found that the pancakes would turn to mush!
8) So add a little coconut oil to the pan and get cracking. The pancakes only need a few minutes on each side to cook, so keep your attention on them. I don't really determine when to flip by the bubbles, I just wait a little bit and test it out with a spatula. If they aren't ready to go, I leave it for a minute longer than test the waters again


Now you hopefully have your perfect pancakes, decorate it with all of your favourites. My winner combination is some banana slices, chopped walnuts, a sprinkle of desiccated coconut and little more maple syrup and cinnamon. Enjoy these as a breakfast, lunch or dinner - who cares it's sunday!

If by some chance my super recipe doesn't work well for you, just drop me a comment below and I'll be happy to help you perfect your quest on making the ultimate pancakes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Bonjour Belle Designs