Tuesday, 28 March 2017

oats on the go.

  
When it comes to breakfast, one of the excuses I can't bear to hear is "I have no time" - because that's just what it is, an excuse. 

My working day begins with me waking up at 5.00am, having a one and a half hour commute, to then be sat at a desk for seven and a half hours. If that wasn't enough, I then get home for about 6.30pm, get my butt straight to the gym, then back to my house for about 7.30-8ish. So you can understand why I get annoyed when people think they haven't got time to put in the extra effort for breakfast. The secret all comes down to a bit of food prep. Yeah it means you'll have to take 20 minutes out of your evening, but who cares when you get to devour these yummy overnight oats. 

This recipe is one I use most of the week. It's cheap to make, doesn't take long to do and tastes just like brownie batter. 

These oats are just so creamy, and tastes more like a pudding then dessert - perfect for my sweet tooth cravings! I'm really not an early-bird type of girl, but knowing I'm having this the next morning just makes it that little less.. well crap. The combination of fats and carbs will give you a much needed boost of energy, making it a great way to start your working day. Whenever I eat this in the office, I always get colleagues asking me about it because I think it looks fancier than it actually is!




What you will need:
- 1/2 cup or around 50 grams of oats (I use gluten & wheat free)
- 1 tablespoon of unsweetened cacoa powder (or coco powder to save money)
- 2 teaspoons of pure maple syrup
-1 heaped teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon of milled flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon of crunchy peanut butter 
(using almond butter will give the oats a creamier and lighter flavour)
- a handful of berries (raspberries, strawberries and/or blueberries are my fave) 
or some banana slices 
- 150ml of coconut milk
- 1 small teaspoon of desiccated coconut (optional)

What to do:
*THE NIGHT BEFORE
1) Mix all the dry ingredients together (except for the desiccated coconut). The flaxseed acts as a binder to make it more thicker and jelly-like. If you want to make this recipe as cheap as possible though, forget the flaxseeds and just add more oats 
2) Slowly add the milk in (adding all at once will make it watery in consistency)
3) Once the batter starts to thicken, add the syrup and peanut butter and stir well
4) Top with your fruits and the desiccated coconut
5) Leave overnight, and take it out right before you leave for work/school






























1 comment:

 

Blog Design by Bonjour Belle Designs